Tuesday, February 10, 2009

OrphanTalk II

Beginning blocking is a little scary, especially if you don't have any pre-blocking done. Which I don't, really. But the interesting thing is that it becomes a process that involves everyone, and if I don't have an idea how to fix something, someone else on the team does.

My actors are pretty experienced, at least two of them are, and I feel lucky to have them...the audiences that get to see them will be lucky too. I can't claim any credit for them. They have what it takes to tell the story. Mostly my job is to stay out of their way and figure out the best ways to show them off. And to get people to come see them!

In this town, that's a neat trick. How to get people to come see a drama with which they are unfamiliar and which isn't really a family show? There are avenues of publicity, but even then that's no guarantee that people will come.

A few years ago I was in a show that had 17 audience members. Total. For the entire run. That was humiliating, and I'm determined that it won't happen again. My team has already put too much effort into what we've accomplished, after three rehearsals.

This blog is meant to be one form of publicity; hopefully reading about my process will entice people to see the end result. Here's to hoping!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh the days of 17 audience members. *sigh*

    You are doing great. Just remember your pictures show off the strengths and weaknesses of your characters by putting them in the power corners!

    Also, remain positive. You are the cheerleader, the light at the end of the tunnel, the one person everyone looks to for guidance and strength. Of course you will have your doubts; everyone does. But as long as you maintain a positive outlook and keep a smile on your face, everyone else will rally around you and the show will be the best it can be.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Some Faves

Custom Search